Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Few Thoughts on Writing


I’m not a huge fan of explanation marks.  Who wants to be shouted at while they sit down to quietly read? Life is loud enough.  I’d rather use bold or italic if I can help it.  Curb your enthusiasm, please.

I enjoy editing - cutting out the fat.  Less is more.  Sometimes complete sentences seem unnecessarily wordy.  And I don’t mind starting sentences with And or But. 

I’m never quite sure what to do with commas.  I basically use them to slow the reader down whenever I feel it’s necessary to do so.  I’ve decided to commit to apostrophes (I’ve over I have.  It’s over it is) – in an effort to stay consistent and “cut out the fat.”  Efficient or lazy?

I don’t mind getting a little corny.  One must dig through granite to get to gold (or blast into it with water cannons and TNT and filter the rubble through sluice boxes and to hell with the farms below).  Too corny? 

I pay closer attention to my own writing than anyone else ever will.  My goal is to amuse myself.  I like that writing allows me to wrap up memories and thoughts into pretty little packages - my own personal file cabinet.  I attach pictures and titles for quick reference.

The more I write, the more I enjoy reading.  The only thing stopping me from reading is a recently acquired anxiety over silence.  I’m working on it.  I’m about 200 pages deep into Wicked.  Expect future references to epic quests, Kansas, revenge, witches, and misunderstood characters…I am easily influenced.



No comments:

Post a Comment