Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Aleutian Geese: Reality Check

Earlier this month, 30,000 Aleutian geese arrived in Humboldt County. The marsh serves as a nice rest stop during their yearly migration from their winter home in the San Joaquin River Delta to their summer nesting grounds on the Aleutian Islands in the north Pacific. They are huge. And aggressive.

I love my Arcata marsh runs. I do not allow weather, hippies, dog poop, or sickness to interfere. Or water fowl. Yesterday, I was challenged by two different Aleutian geese while I tried to pass them. They held their ground, stared me down, puffed up their chest and literally challenged me to pass. I ran off the trail to avoid the confrontation. Today, an Aleutian goose crossed the line. As I ran by the giant goose went for me - not from the side but diagonally and face first. I out juked it and ran away. I punked out.

After the incident, I stood by to watch others pass, hoping to witness another attack. I noticed something interesting: the geese have no fear of humans but they are terrified of their dogs. Dogs are one leash away from a wild goose chase, and these Aleutian geese know it. Humans on the other hand - harmless. Does that give them the right to bully dogless humans? No. I think they should be scared and distrustful of humans. Keep a safe distance and stop harassing kind people who are just trying to enjoy a run.

Warning: The next time one of you takes a lunge at me, I'm going to put you in your place. No side stepping, no unreasonable fear of you. Aleutian Goose, prepare for a reality check. Lunge at me again and I'm punching you out.


1 comment: