Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A River Runs Through It

As Ol' Man Winter continues to weaken and wither away, my mind wanders off into camp sites, lakes, rivers, and mountains.  My body is eager to join it.  I am determined to fish more this year.  Humboldt County is one of the finest fishing destinations in the United States.  It is home to the Klamath, Trinity,  Mattole, Eel, Mad, and Van Duzen rivers - each of which experiences major salmon, steelhead, and trout runs.  Humboldt's rugged coast also provides world class surf fishing.  Furthermore, crab fishing off the piers is legal, free, and often very successful.  In addition to reeling in a twelve pound steelhead, I am eager to thrift store shop for vintage fishing equipment.  My tackle box will be incredible.  I am also on the look out for fishing nets, vests, hats, flannel, wading boots, and brightly colored visors.  


If you find me wading into a river, standing firm against its current, notice how my pole will be waving through the air like Beethoven's baton - intensely in-tuned with the rhythms of the river.  The sun will surely be rising over the trees, a low fog lifting.  The 9th symphany and the sounds of running water begin to flow together in perfect harmony.  My pole suddenly jerks towards the waters surface.  A mighty steelhead flashes out from the rapids, just as the sunlight strikes the water and a deep calming voice enters your head and whispers...


"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it." 


Awesome movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment