Sunday, February 24, 2013

Skiing/Hiking Back Home - From Mt. Ashland, OR

A few weeks ago, I pondered the possibility of catching a ride up to Mt. Ashland and skiing/hiking all the way back home.  I did some research and discovered that the idea is legit.  I could follow service roads until connecting with familiar hiking trails.  In fact, I could follow the same exact route of Ashland's annual Hill Climb - a 14 mile grueling race from downtown's Lithia Park to the top of Mt. Ashland.

It was raining when I woke Saturday morning but I decided to go ahead and give the idea a shot.  I ate a quick breakfast, packed and walked towards the freeway with my skis in hand.  I stood before the exit, leaning against my skis, holding hot coffee and a cardboard sign with the words Mt. Ashland boldly drawn.  I was quickly able to wave down a ride - a friendly young couple headed up to snowboard.  By the time I clicked into my skis, it was well past noon. 

At first, the snow was deep, dry powder.  I began breaking trail within the first mile - an activity more akin to snowshoeing than skiing.  However, the snow became easier to ski as I descended.  The skiing soon took off.  I glided down the mountain, mile after mile.  Effortless.  The snow was perfect.  The sun came out. I passed by no one.  Eventually, only a few miles from home, the road became littered with puddles.  The snow puttered out.  I ate a snack, swapped my boots for shoes, strapped my skis to my pack, and continued on foot.  

I never found that distinct line where snow met dirt - the photo I'd been hoping for.  It was dark by the time I strolled into town.  I passed through my neighborhood toting my skis proudly.  I made it home, walked in, dropped my pack in the living room and headed for the shower - having successfully discovered another sweet day trip.  
























































No comments:

Post a Comment