Thursday, July 7, 2011

Namaste

Passing time in Southern Oregon at a hot springs yoga retreat.  Hippies all around. Bumper stickers read: There's No Place Like Om, Arms are for Hugging, and Support Your Local Midwife, Make Love.  Bathing together in the hot springs, the hippies don't know what to make of me.  Am I one of them?  No one speaks.  An older woman with dreads and tattoos on her face begins to hum.  The hum continues for five...eight...ten minutes without a break in tone.  It's amazing. Impossible even.  The other snow monkeys don't seem impressed.  A mosquito buzzes around my face like it's a Coast Guard helicopter, searching for a dry place to land - I snatch it from mid-air like a Tibetan Monk.  



5 comments:

  1. my kinda place...ommmmmmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hippie Who Didn't Know He Was One....
    Or should I say, He was Ommmm?

    Go easy on the mosquitos, remember you Buddhist mantra, Do No Harm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me a Fool, but I love the bumpersnicker culture.... I saw one the other day that said BiPartisansShip: "I'll hug your elephant if you'll kiss my ass..."
    But I think my favorite is Bad Cop/No Donut! try that one on for size, but don't roll through any Stop Signs

    ReplyDelete
  4. a few days ago I followed a white Ford Bronco along HWY 199 with a licence plate that read "NOT OJ."

    ReplyDelete
  5. or this one I saw crossing L.A.-

    "The Lab Called/ Your brain Is Ready"

    ReplyDelete