Monday, April 4, 2011

Thoughts on Rhyming

It turns out I like to rhyme. I mix up sentences and try to fit words together. It gets my wheel spinning like a mental game show. Finding two perfect words that match is like landing on $1,000, guessing “t”, and watching the board light up twice.

I’m uncomfortable with the word “poem.” I’m not sure what it means to me…or to a dictionary for that matter. I would never call myself a poet or refer to my writings as poems. I’ll leave poetry to introspective individuals with large vocabularies. I just want to play.

Is it too “low brow” to simply rhyme the last word in a sentence? It always seems to sound better that way. But it’s probably cleverer to slip in rhymes in the beginning or middle of sentences as well. Perhaps even toss in a sentence or two that doesn't rhyme at all. That would be wild.

Anyone can rhyme - roses are red, violets are blue, I can rhyme and so can you. The trick for me is saying something in a way that's not too preachy and not too silly. If I can eke out a semi coherent story that’s smooth and rhymes and makes me smile, I’ll post it. And I’ll try and do better the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment