Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thoughts on I

Rhyming helps sum up ideas.  If you can say everything you want to say in ten sentences or less, why write a chapter? I think my problem is communication.  I worry that my rhyme’s intent never gets through.  Or at least it doesn’t resonate with enough authority.  But I’m new to the game and I’ll continue to play.  Maybe I’ll enroll in a community college creative writing course.  I’ll annoy a portable classroom of eighteen year-olds with questions, enthusiasm and silly rhymes. 

I am sick of typing the word “I.”  It's a lazy habit that makes for a poor read.  I could give myself a journalism assignment - hike the Lost Coast next weekend and report on it?  I’ve been tempted to write short autobiographical stories but I cringe at the thought of all those “I”’s.  Perhaps I’ll just create fictitious characters to channel my thoughts through.  Maybe I’ll get carried away and write a children’s story.  

 

5 comments:

  1. You should write a children's book!

    I had trouble writing in first person as well. I changed to the third person and everything became less hoity toity.

    If you are traveling down Highway 1, make sure you stop in Tomales and say "hi."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoity toity...mind if I ever use that?

    Maybe I could help you out on the farm some day. Roll up my sleeves and work in the sun. End the day with margaritas and tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we could hang out with Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I'd like that. It's comforting to know Jesus works on a farm. I'm a little suspicious of carpentry.

    ReplyDelete