Friday, May 6, 2011

Story Building

Writing a story is like building a home.  Without the right tools, things can get ugly.  Unfortunately, my mental tool box only contains the barest of essentials: an old hammer, a rusty hacksaw, a pocket full of dull nails and a level with a wayward bubble.  I've hardly upgraded since graduating from middle school.  As of today, I've doodled out the beginnings of a blueprint and dug a few lazy ditches.  I'd like my story to stand out from the rest of the neighborhood in some clever way.  But honestly, right now I'd be happy to simply construct a story that can stand on its own.  I feel like I'm trying to teach myself architecture and carpentry by looking at examples of homes I admire.  Apparently, throwing together a few rickety tree forts is a long, long ways from building a dream home. 

1 comment:

  1. building a solid foundation is essential...that you have, start framing in your ideas.

    ReplyDelete